Minister of Interior Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz chaired an emergency meeting of the Supreme Hajj Commission in Jeddah today. Prince Nayef convened the meeting in order to be briefed on the latest developments in the Jan. 5 collapse of the Makkah hotel Loulouat Al-Khair, which killed 76.
Prince Nayef requested that the subcommittee investigating the collapse work quickly and submit its findings to the Commission. He also instructed the investigation subcommittee to remain on alert and in a state of emergency until it had completed its task. Responsibility would be determined, he said.
Prince Nayef added that a second subcommittee had been formed to deal with the accident in addition to the investigating subcommittee. A general subcommittee will represent all official authorities.
The prince also praised the rescue operations and debris removal undertaken by the Civil Defense and other Hajj-related authorities.
After the meeting, Prince Nayef remarked upon the tragic nature of the Makkah accident. He said that Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz and Crown Prince Sultan been Abdulaziz were extremely concerned about the incident.
All of those injured or killed in the accident will receive the utmost care and consideration from the Saudi government, Prince Nayef added.