Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources Ali Al-Naimi said yesterday that Saudi security forces and Aramco employees prevented an attempted terrorist attack on the Abqaiq oil facility.
Al-Naimi said that the incident resulted in a minor fire that was immediately extinguished. Production in the facility continues at full capacity, and export operations are continuing as usual, he added.
The Ministry of Interior issued a statement yesterday providing more details about the attack. At 3:00pm local time Friday, February 24, two suspicious cars attempted to drive through a side entrance of the Abqaiq oil refinery, the ministry said. Security forces exchanged fire with the two cars, which exploded near the entrance. Damage to the facility was limited to a minor fire that was immediately controlled.
The Ministry of Interior said today that two Saudi members of the Saudi security forces were killed in the attack: Hamad bin Saleh bin Mubarak Al-Marri and Badi bin Saud Al-Haqbani Al-Dosari.
Today’s statement also provided updated information about security forces injured in the attack. Four security members were injured at Abqaiq, the Ministry said, adding that some of the injured men had been discharged from the hospital after receiving medical treatment.
Also today, Deputy Governor of the Eastern Province Prince Jelawi bin Abdulaziz bin Musaed performed funeral prayers for the two slain security men in Abqaiq.