Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Fahd bin Abdulaziz today chaired the regular weekly meeting of the Council of Ministers and briefed the cabinet on talks he had held at various times over the past few days with visiting dignitaries: Syrian President Dr. Bashar Al-Assad, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez Frias, South African President Thabo Mbeki, and Prime Minister of Hungary Dr. Viktor Orban.
The cabinet then heard a comprehensive review by Interior Minister Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz, who is also Chairman of the Higher Hajj Committee, on the arrangements being made by the relevant government and other agencies for the 1421 pilgrimage. King Fahd stressed the importance of mobilizing all material and human energies and capabilities to carry out the holy Islamic duty with which God has honored this country, in the best possible manner in order to provide comfort, safety and peace for all pilgrims to enable them to perform their religious rituals according to the instructions of God Almighty and to return to their countries, homes and families, fully content and satisfied.
The cabinet went on to pass a number of resolutions, including the following:
1. approval of the bilateral agreement on aviation services with the Republic of South Africa, for which a royal decree has been prepared;
2. approval of two agreements, one on economic, financial, tourist and technical cooperation, and the other on cultural cooperation, with the Republic of Venezuela, for which royal decrees have been prepared;
3. authorization for the Minister of Foreign Affairs or his deputy to sign the draft of the general agreement with the Czech Republic;
4. endorsement of discussions between the Minister of Communications and his Syrian counterpart concerning an agreement to organize overland passenger and freight transportation between the two countries;
5. approval of the appointment of Dr. Abdulwahid bin Khalid Al-Humeid as Secretary-General of the Manpower Council.