1998 News Story
 

05/20/1998
Health Minister in Washington DC

Minister of Health Dr. Osama Shobokshi, who is on a visit to Washington DC, yesterday highlighted the existing close cooperation between health facilities in Saudi Arabia and specialized medical centers in the USA, noting the Kingdom's concern both to recruit qualified medical and technical cadres and to send to the United States for training:  personnel of the health ministry; of the medical services at the national guard, the armed forces, and the internal security forces; and of hospitals such as King Faisal Specialist, King Khalid Eye Specialist, and the Aramco hospitals, as well as the university hospitals.


 Dr. Shobokshi then remarked on the project for the 1,400-bed King Fahd Medical City which will mean a shift to the 21st century in the field of medical services for the citizens in Riyadh.  He also noted that arrangements are underway to complete the project of the 700-bed Gulf Hospital in the Eastern Province.  He went on to praise the significant role being played by the private sector in the health field, referring to it as a partner of the public sector.  About 86 percent of the health services in the Kingdom are extended by the public sector and the remaining 14 percent by the private sector.

Return